Frequently asked questions

All the information you need

Rental price

How do I calculate my rental price?

The price of a room usually consists of two parts: the ‘bare’ rent and the service costs. The bare rent is the money you pay for the use of the amount of space you rent and the facilities in the room and other facilities in the house you use. A points system has been devised for this calculation. The more points the accommodation gets, the higher the rental price of the accommodation will be. You can use a form to calculate how many points your room is worth. In the brochure ‘Renting and letting rooms 2003-2004’ you will find the form printed as well as the table with which you can determine the maximum rent.

What does all renting involve?

In the case of an all-in rent, no breakdown is made between the ‘bare’ rent and the service costs. Tenant and landlord are advised to split an all-in rent, because there are no rules that can result in a change to an all-in rent. If they do not agree on this, as a tenant I can ask the Rent Commission to indicate what the rent will be and what amount will apply as an advance payment and what amount will apply as service charges.

Do I get a rent allowance for my accommodation?

Usually not. Only residents of self-contained accommodation can, in principle, receive a rent allowance. And self-contained accommodation has its own entrance, bathroom, toilet and kitchen. It is also often checked whether the living space is cadastrally split. Rent allowance can only be applied for in the case of already designated housing units, assisted living or group living by elderly people.

What are the service costs?

These are costs for e.g. the supply of gas, electricity, furnishing, upholstery and services such as cleaning the porch. Services and supplies are recorded in the rental agreement. For each calendar year, the lessor must provide an overview of the service costs incurred in that year, including a settlement of advances paid.

If, for example, the energy company has another period to settle with the lessor, the lessor may include the costs of the lessee’s consumption in that overview if that period ends in that calendar year.


What should a rental agreement contain?

The tenancy agreement contains agreements between the tenant and the landlord about the total rent (‘bare’ rent and service costs) and other agreements (such as the use of facilities such as telephone, whether or not pets are allowed, etc.).

Model tenancy agreements can be obtained through the Dutch Housing Association (Nederlandse Woonbond). See the rental agreement file.

What are the tenant's duties?

You are obliged to pay the rent on time, and to actually use the rented accommodation as living accommodation (and not as business accommodation, for example). Furthermore, you may not cause nuisance to local residents.

Minor repairs (such as, for example, replacing leather on taps or repairing locks on doors, but also keeping the rented room clean) are at the tenant’s expense. The tenant’s exact obligations are laid down in the tenancy agreement. These may not deviate from the established rules to the detriment of the tenant. In addition to agreed duties, there are often a number of points of attention for the tenant.

Is there such a thing as an arbitration board?

In the event of disagreement between the tenant and the landlord about the amount of the rent, service costs or serious maintenance complaints, you can turn to the rent assessment committee for a ruling (see rent assessment committee file).
For (almost) all procedures with the rent assessment, both tenant and landlord have to pay an advance of eur 11,=.

What to do in case of serious defects?

The rent assessment commission cannot force the landlord to repair the defects. However, the rent assessment commission may decide that the tenant will receive a rent reduction. The reduction is temporary and takes effect on the first day of the month following the month in which the tenant has requested the landlord to rectify the defect and applies until the complaints have been rectified.

What should I pay attention to when renting a room?

You can have the initial rent assessed by the rent assessment committee within the first six months after the commencement date of the tenancy agreement. In doing so, the rent assessment commission also takes account of the presence of defects. If you have any complaints about maintenance or repairs to the accommodation, inform the landlord in writing of his obligations to deliver and keep the accommodation in a good state of repair.

In a tenancy agreement, you can agree a co-option right with the landlord.
This means that when you leave the house you have the right to nominate a next tenant.
The landlord may, if he has good arguments for doing so, reject the nominated tenant. You are liable for those who come to visit you. If you want someone to live with you in your room for a longer period of time, it is wise to discuss this with the landlord beforehand.
Check the service costs overview for duplicate items and compare it with the tenancy agreement.

You do not have to pay a possible increase in the advance amount until you have received the annual service costs overview, which gives rise to an increase.
If the advance amount is too high, you can have the rent assessment committee ask you to reduce it.

Other points of attention for the tenant?
  • Points calculation: If the landlord has not valued the room, or has valued it incorrectly according to your calculation, then it is wise to do a points calculation yourself (see question 1.).
  • Rent increase: If you do pay the rent increase and have not submitted a notice of objection (on time), it is assumed that you agree to the rent increase. In that case, the rent increase has come about legitimately. If you have submitted a notice of objection and the rent review does not consider the rent increase to be reasonable, you can reclaim the amount paid in excess.
  • Reminder letter: If you do not pay the rent increase, but have not submitted a notice of objection, the landlord can send you a registered reminder. You can inform the landlord within two weeks after this reminder which objections you have. If you fail to do so, the landlord can ask the rent assessment commission for a decision up to three months after the proposed rent increase date. If the landlord has sent his rent increase proposal by registered letter, the reminder procedure will lapse. The lessor can then ask the rent assessment commission for a decision up to six weeks after the proposed commencement date.
  • Rent increase: If the rent assessment commission rejects your objection, you will usually still have to pay the rent increase from the proposed commencement date. You are advised to save up the rent increase amount each month while the objection procedure is in progress.

Still need help? Send us a message!

For other questions send us an email at [email protected] or call us at +31 6 29137584